5 signs your dog ate something poisonous

Being able to recognize the signs of poisoning quickly can truly be life-saving.


Here are the symptoms and steps you can take to save your dog's life, and when to act before symptoms arise if you believe your dog may have consumed something poisonous.

1.

1. Vomiting or diarrhea

Vomiting or diarrhea

Vomiting and diarrhea are two of the most common symptoms that a dog has been poisoned. Their body is trying to expel the toxic substance before it can cause further harm.


Look out for repeated vomiting, diarrhea with blood or excessive mucus, and signs of abdominal pain like whining or panting.


There are other things that can cause vomiting and diarrhea, so usually, one should corroborate these signs with other indications of intoxication (like empty bottles or wrappers). 

2.

2. Excessive drooling or pawing at the mouth

Excessive drooling or pawing at the mouth

If your pup is drooling excessively or constantly pawing at their mouth, it could indicate they've eaten something acidic like a household cleaner or chemical that is burning or irritating their mouth and esophagus.


Be extra aware of this symptom paired with vomiting, as this could mean they are at risk of a damaged esophagus

3.

3. Lethargy and weakness

Lethargy and weakness

A sign that may not be as noticeable as the rest but deserves the same concern: lethargy and weakness in a dog’s demeanor.


We’re not talking about deep post daycare sleep—keep your eye out for signs of weakness and incoordination when trying to walk or stand.


In severe poisoning cases, tremors, seizures, or difficulty breathing may develop as the toxins spread through their system.

4.

4. Loss of appetite

Loss of appetite

Depending on the breed, some dogs may bum rush their food bowl more than others.


But generally, a sudden, complete disinterest in meal time could be a telltale sign that something is seriously wrong, especially if paired with other symptoms.


A poisoned dog often loses their normal appetite entirely as their body tries to focus all its energy on fighting off the toxins.

5.

5. Irregular heart rate and low temperature 

Irregular heart rate and low temperature 

In extreme poisoning cases, a dog's heart rate may become dangerously high or irregular as their cardiovascular system is impacted.


Their body temperature can also drop below normal levels as toxins cause their body to struggle to regulate itself properly.


This, along with the other symptoms above, are very concerning and require immediate emergency veterinary attention.

When you catch them red-handed: Immediate action to take

It’s unfortunately possible for our dogs to eat something poisonous without us seeing or suspecting.


The signs you read above are what a dog could experience after several hours of ingestion—likely 6 or more.

Typically, we see other evidence of potential intoxication, like chewed up wrappers, bottles, or chocolate debris on the couch or their mouths.


After all, their cleanliness and attention to detail is NOT one of the things that dogs are known for, so evidence is bound to be around.


In these scary situations, prior to physical signs of intoxication, there is a product that can literally save your pets life: ReadyRESCUE™

Here’s Finn, with Dr. Cuddles’ Total Care Combo Pack! This includes all of our Heat-at-Home products in addition to ReadyRESCUE™. It’s the gold standard in at-home pet care.  

What is ReadyRESCUE™?

ReadyRESCUE™ is a life-saving oral antidote solution specifically designed for dogs and cats that have ingested toxic substances.


It works best when administered shortly after toxin ingestion, before any clinical signs like vomiting or seizures are noted.


From Dr. Cuddles, this emergency response, anti-toxin, vet-designed product works to counteract poison by absorbing and deactivating a wide range of toxic substances like chocolate, medications, plants, chemicals and more.


By absorbing and binding the toxin, ReadyRESCUE™ prevents it from doing permanent damage to your pet.

A potential life-Saver

In an instance where you suspect your dog has eaten something poisonous based on evidence around the house, prior to them exhibiting symptoms, ReadyRESCUE™ can be administered to reduce or eliminate the effects of the poison.


Importantly, if you are wrong about your pet eating something poisonous (i.e. what you thought was poisonous actually wasn’t or the amount of something they consumed is not threatening to them), it’s okay! There is no harm or risk in administering ReadyRESCUE™ even if your pet was not in danger.


In the event of poisoning, ReadyRESCUE™ can buy you and your pet crucial, potentially life-saving time allowing you to contact poison control or your vet or get them to an emergency veterinarian.

NOTE: Just like performing CPR doesn’t eliminate the need for medical attention, ReadyRESCUE™ is not a replacement for calling and/or visiting your veterinarian (for specific advice regarding your animal and the toxicity).

When time matters most, ReadyRESCUE™ acts as a pause button to prevent the absorption of the poison while buying you time to investigate the issue and contact professionals before getting them physically checked out by a professional. 

NOTE: Just like performing CPR doesn’t eliminate the need for medical attention, ReadyRESCUE™ is not a replacement for calling and/or visiting your veterinarian (for specific advice regarding your animal and the toxicity). When time matters most, ReadyRESCUE™ acts as a pause button to prevent the absorption of the poison while buying you time to investigate the issue and contact professionals before getting them physically checked out by a professional. 

18 Reviews

ReadyRESCUE™

First-response emergency at home detoxifier

"The fact that it worked effortlessly without causing any additional stress or discomfort for my dog was a huge relief. It saved my dog's life!"

- Michelle Togliatti

Crafted for dogs and cats, ReadyRESCUE™ is the lifesaving solution that swoops in to save the day when your pet eats something dangerous.

🐾 Absorbs toxins before your pet's body does

🐾 Buys critical time for your pet

🐾 Deliveries piece of mind when you need it the most

🐾 Easy to use

🐾 Protect your dog for up to 5 years! 

$129.99

$116.99

Save

10%

Save 10%

Most Popular

1 Box

$43

$39.00/vial

Save 20%

Most Popular

3 Boxes

$43

$34.66/vial

Save 30%

Best Value

5 Boxes

$43

$30.33/vial

How Many Vials Do I Need?

Free 2-5 Days Shipping

30-Day Returns

OFFER IS ALMOST GONE

00

HOURS

:

20

MINUTES

:

00

SECONDS

4.9 Stars

Join thousands of pet parents in leveling up their pet safety

“Such a great product!!! Easily mixes into my pup's food/water. Luckily I haven't need to use this product yet, but Ready Rescue gives our family peace of mind that we are prepared in case of an emergency!! It's also great to have on hand for dog sitter.”

Kyle M.

“What sets this product apart is its ease of use. The straightforward instructions made it simple for me to administer the detox to Luna, and she had no issues taking it. The fact that it worked effortlessly without causing any additional stress or discomfort for my dog was a huge relief. Not only did Dr. Cuddles' Ready Rescue Pet Detox save us from unnecessary vet visits, but it also saved Luna's life. I cannot express how grateful I am to have had this product on hand when we needed it most.”

Michelle Togliatti

“I don't know about you, but my dog is like a super-speed vaccuum cleaner and will eat anything that falls on the ground within seconds. Having ReadyRESCUE on hand makes me feel so much safer knowing that I can do something to help. My dog is smaller, so I was able to use a bit of one vial to mix in with different food to see what combination he'd like best when I need him to eat it- a great suggestion!”

Ben H.

FAQs